Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Birth Story, Cole Henry

My 2nd Birth...

I woke up around 5am on 2/19/08 with easy contractions, but they were different than the previous weeks. I basically continued on with my day as normal. Contractions were all over the place (which happened with me last time).

My mom came over and cleaned my house (way cool). Around 12pm I got irritated about being in the house and we went and ate lunch at Ruby Tuesday.

When we got home, I cleaned some more and wandered around. Around 4pm I was getting really irritated about where I was in labor, and that I was bored in the house. So, I got everyone together and we took a quick (2 min) trip to my doctor's office to get a "progress report". Once I got there, my contractions started getting worse. He checked me and I was 6cm and 90% effaced. Told me to head on over to the hospital.

We ran home for a few last minute things and went in. My doctor called over to L&D and got me THE BEST nurse there. She has actually looked into opening her own birthing center (but the interest still isn't here). She did all doppler monitoring like I wanted and when they wanted one strip she just held the monitor on me herself for 20 minutes.

Anyway, about 8:45pm I started feeling a lot of pressure all of a sudden and made my husband go get the nurse (she had stepped out for a minute). There was a lot of scurrying about trying to find a doctor. Mine wasn't there yet and the on-call was heading into c-section. My nurse was trying to find a midwife from downstairs while putting on gloves to possibly catch the baby. The on-call walked in (because apparently someone thought I was only at 30 weeks gestation), but stayed anyway to catch.

Pushing was QUICK! His shoulders got stuck for a second or two, but pulling my legs/knees back was enough to free them, no biggie. I felt a big pop when his shoulders came out. Baby was born at 9:06pm. He was 8lbs 5oz and 21inches long (HUGE, more than a pound bigger than my last, who was 6 days past her edd). I had a tiny tiny tear that wasn't really on my perineum and didn't need any attention.

I had a lot of bleeding (again) with this birth AND my water never broke and they had to tear it off the baby.

This was such an easy birth!